MATCHA ROLL CAKE
Our simple Matcha Roll Cake is a perfect combination of refreshing matcha sponge rolled with fresh fruits and a rich cream cheese filling. With its vibrant green and red colors, this cake can be a great recipe for the holiday season!
Flour (Cake or All Purpose) 1/2 cup
Cooking Grade Matcha 1 tbsp
Egg Yolk 3 yolks
Sugar 1/3 cup
Egg Whites 3 egg whites
Sugar 1/4 cup
Unsalted Butter 1 tbsp
Milk 1 tbsp
Cream Cheese 3.5 oz
Sugar 1-2 tbsp
Heavy Cream 1/2 cup
Kirsch 1 tsp
Fresh Yellow Peach 3
1. Sift the flour and matcha together. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 340 F ~ 350 F. Melt the butter.
2. Continuously mix the egg yolk and 1/3 cup of sugar together until they become white and fluffy.
3. Add the egg whites to a different bowl and beat, adding the 1/4 cup of sugar in two parts. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
4. Gently fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk and sugar. Once it is well incorporated, add about half of the flour/matcha and mix well. Repeat until all the matcha and flour is incorporated. Add the remaining egg whites to the mixture. Finally, add the melted butter and milk. Mix in.
5. Spread out the batter on the lined baking sheet in a nice, even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 11 to 13 minutes. Remove and let cool.
6. Allow the cream cheese to come to room temperature and slowly mix the heavy cream into it little by little. Once it is completely mixed in, add the sugar and mix until it thickens. Add the Kirsch.
7. Remove any excess moisture from the peaches and cut them into 1/4” - 1/2” square pieces. Whip some heavy cream for decoration.
8. Transfer the baked cake to a fresh piece of parchment paper. Spread a layer of the cream cheese frosting on the cake and place the fresh cut fruit on top. Roll it up, making sure not to roll the parchment paper into the cake as well. Once the cake is fully rolled, wrap the parchment paper around it and twist the ends like a candy wrapper. Place in the refrigerator to chill and set.
9. Take the cake out of the refrigerator and remove from the parchment paper wrapping. Decorate to your liking. We recommend piping whipped cream on the top and then decorating with strawberries, chocolate pieces, dusting with some powdered sugar, and silver dragees. You can also place some fresh herbs on the plate to really convey the holiday spirit!